After stormwater leaves your drains and pipes they often flow into a treatment device. Council stormwater treatment systems include Litter screens and Gross Pollutant Traps (GPTs), Grass and sand filters, and Constructed wetlands.
Litter screens and Gross Pollutant Traps (GPTs)
- The establishment of regional stormwater treatment systems within both new and existing urban areas is a growing trend for Councils.
- Litter screens and gross pollutant traps within our urban areas have become a necessity â€“ their function is to reduce the amount of litter and organic matter that flows into our waterways.
- Although often unsightly, their function is crucial to the health of our waterways.
Grass and sand filters
- It is easy for people to recognise the adverse impacts of visible pollutants like litter, but most of the critical stormwater pollutants are invisible to the human eye.
- Recessed grassed roadway mediums help filter out stormwater run-off contaminants such as ammonia, road grime and brake pad dust.
- Respecting the role of these roadside filters is critical, and not treating them as just another place to park your car or truck.
Council constructed wetlands
- Nitrogen and phosphorus are two of the most important nutrients present in the outflow of stormwater.
- Although much of the phosphorus can be removed through grass and sand filters, nitrogen treatment usually requires an aquatic environment such as a bio-filter, lake, or wetland.
- Built wetlands can be used to treat a number of dissolved contaminants, as well as remove small suspended particles such as sediments.
Find out more about council stormwater treatment and the regulation of stormwater systems by councils
Stormwater Sydney provides Inspection, Cleaning, Maintenance, Repairs, Construction, and Advisory on stormwater systems across Sydney, ensuring compliance with Sydney standards and Council regulations.
Stormwater Sydney provides design, management and consulting services across Sydney. Inspection, design, cleaning, maintenance, repairs, construction and advisory on stormwater & WSUD systems. Pits, pipes, pumps, drains, gutters, tanks and all your WSUD needs. Ensuring you comply with EPA and Councils Regulations.